2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup coarsely chopped natural (unblanched) almonds
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup flax seed
1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1/3 cup toasted wheat germ
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spread oats on a jelly-roll pan and bake for 10 minutes, stirring midway until light golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Leave oven on.
2. Meanwhile, in a small un-greased skillet, toast almonds, stirring frequently, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Place flaxseeds in a mini-food processor or coffee grinder and pulse 5 to 10 seconds or until ground. In a large bowl, combine ground flaxseed, toasted oats, flour, wheat germ, baking soda and salt. Whisk well to thoroughly combine.
4. In a large bowl, cream butter, light brown sugar and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs to butter mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients just until flour is no longer visible (do not over mix). Stir in raisins, cranberries and almonds until just combined.
5. On lightly greased cookie sheet, spoon 1-tablespoon amounts of dough 2” apart. Bake 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are just golden brown. Cool cookies on wire rack.