3/4 cup ground flax seed
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 cups raisin-bran cereal
2 cups low-fat buttermilk
1/8 cup canola oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 large egg
2 egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 425° F & coat 18 muffin cups with canola cooking spray.
2. Combine flax seed, flours, sugar, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. With an electric mixer, beat on low to blend well. Add cereal and beat on low speed until mixed in.
3. Combine buttermilk, oil, maple syrup and eggs in a medium bowl and blend well with fork or whisk. Pour into dry ingredients and beat on low speed briefly, just to blend.
4. Spoon 1/4 cup batter into each muffin cup and bake until cake tester inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean (about 15 minutes). Transfer to rack to cool.
5. Note: After making batter, bowl may be covered and stored in the refrigerator for up to one week. The batter will thicken but still be usable.